The teachers’ employer says the move is aimed at addressing the huge capacity gaps being experienced following the rolling out of the new Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) system of education.
TSC says that the CBC system has shifted most of the education work to secondary schools, leaving primary schools with many teachers but with less work.
TSC says the teachers who will be promoted will be deployed to work in the newly introduced junior secondary schools that include Grades 7, 8 and 9.
However, TSC says that promotion will be merit based with the teachers holding a bachelor’s degree and had a mean grade of C+ (plus) and above being the one to be considered.
- Diploma and Degree in Special Needs Education
- Diplomaand Degree in Early Childhood Development Education.
- Diploma in Education (Primary Option)
- Diploma in Education, Secondary option
- Degree in Education (Secondary option) but lacking C+ at KCSE or C+ in teaching subjects
Besides this promotion, the commission announced that more teachers will be deployed to cater for the double intake expected in 2023.
The Grade Six learners under the CBC system of education will be advancing to Grade 7 while the standard six pupils in the 8-4-4 system will be joining the junior secondary schools.