The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has deregistered 52 teachers from different schools in the country. The commission’s CEO Nancy Macharia in a gazette notice, removed the teachers from the national register in accordance with Section 30 (1) (e) of the Teachers Service Commission Act.
Reasons why a teacher may be deregistered by TSC
A teacher can be deregistered if he/she:
2. registration fraudulently
3. Has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence against a learner
4. Has been convicted of a criminal offence which renders the person unfit to be a teacher
5. Is found unfit to teach following disciplinary proceedings
6. Suffers from physical or mental illness or infirmity which renders the person incapable of performing the duties of a teacher.
Whenever a teacher is deregistered his/her name will be published in the Kenya Gazette.
A teacher whose name has been removed from the register shall cease to be a teacher with effect from the date of such removal, the gazette notice dated May 13 read in part.
Additionally, a person shall not engage in the teaching service unless such a person is registered as a teacher under the Act.
Upon deregistration, any person who teaches or assists in teaching in any school shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding Ksh 5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both.
Similarly, if a school employs someone who is not a registered teacher, the owner shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of not less than Ksh 100,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or to both.
TSC boss further noted that in the case where a teacher has been removed from the register, reinstatement would only be occasioned by the commission. The affected teachers can choose to appeal their removal at the Appeals Tribunal, which must be exercised within 28 days of the date of this notice.
“Any appeal should be submitted in writing, stating the grounds of appeal. If on the expiry of 28 days from the date of this notice, no appeal has been made to the Appeals Tribunal, or if an appeal to the Appeals Tribunal is withdrawn or dismissed, your name will forthwith be removed from the register of teachers,” the Act directs.
- The following is full list provided in TSC portal of teachers desregistered by the commission by June 2021 due to various offences.