The school was founded in 1925 as the Government African School (GAS). It is one of the oldest high schools in the country. The school was established to cater for African students at a time when schools were still segregated by the British colonialists.
The school has undergone many transformations over the past century and the old school campus where the school stood at first is now used as a primary school, Kapsabet High Primary School .
The school has consistently been ranked among the top schools in Kenya. It was ranked 10th nationally in the 2018 KCSE examinations, in 2017 it was ranked 8th, 2016 it was ranked 5th. In 2014 it was ranked 2nd and position four in 2013.
Kapsabet High School is a boys’ national school located in Kapsabet, Nandi County, Kenya, about 40 kilometres from Eldoret town.
The school’s current principal is Kipchumba Maiyo and the board of management (BOM) is chaired by retired Lieutenant General Augustine Cheruiyot.
With an alumni network of more than 10,000 students, Kapsabet has produced alumni in different fields including top leaders in Kenya. Some of its notable alumni include Kenya’s political elite.
1. Nicholas Biwott – businessman and former Cabinet Minister
2. Kipruto Rono Arap Kirwa – former Cabinet Minister
3. Henry Kosgey -former Cabinet Minister and Member of Parliament
4. Daniel arap Moi – Second President of Kenya
4. William Ruto – Deputy President of Kenya ( Incumbent )
5. Stephen Sang – 2nd and current Governor of Nandi County , former Senator Nandi County
6. Kimaiyo Arap Sego – Lawyer, former Member of Parliament, Tindiret Constituency and former Minister of commerce
7. Julius Yego – 2016 Olympics javelin silver medalist; 2015 IAAF javelin world champion.